Quote of the Moment
"All really great things happen in slow and inconspicuous ways." Leo Tolstoy


Tuesday 4 February 2014

E8 Preview: Beara Way

Dear one and all.

Oh, aren't you all just so excited to be here! One will tell you those things about the Beara Way that you have come to hear and have already heard SO much about. Why don't you all calm down and stay a while as it is now my place to, so very briefly, pre-view that which you will have the pleasure of enjoying on some future day hence.

...Enough of that nonsense. Yes that is Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer. No it isn't relevant.

This is actually part one of my previews of the Irish E8.

Part 1: The Beara Way




The Beara Way is a ring of paths around the Beara Peninsula in South West Ireland. It traverses within both Cork and Kerry and was formally opened in 1996. For my walk this is the most I will see of the coast. Rugged sea cliffs rising to the central mountains of the peninsula with moorlands and woods in-between make this one section of the hike that I am looking forward to the most on the outset; this is exactly the sort of countryside I love.

The Beara way not only is part of the E8 but also it is one half of the Beara-Breifne Way. This long distance path follows and commemorates route of the march by Donal Cam O'Sullivan, Prince of Beare who after taking part in the Nine Years War with a range of other Gaelic Clans was forced to retreat north. I look forward to finding out more about the history of the area on the route which is frankly, exceedingly rich. Not only does it hold within it's bounds tales of escaping Princes but also clandestine Catholic shrines, copper mines and pre-historic ritual stones and burial tombs.

Also if I have the time I will try and go on Ireland's only cable-car, across a short stretch of the Atlantic Ocean to Dursey Island! Some might say this is a needless extension of the walk, I say, no no no.

Practically speaking I will be spending my first 2 nights and 3 days of the hike on the Beara Way, which will test me and my fitness. My first night camping is on a site near Tousist, which will test my tent. And much of the route is isolated with little in the way of shops or amenities, which will test my planning and fortitude!

I can't wait!


UPDATE--
For further info on the Beara Way have a look at this blog post by the De La Salle Scout Group; just call me Mr Excited!

No comments: