Quote of the Moment
"All really great things happen in slow and inconspicuous ways." Leo Tolstoy


Tuesday 21 July 2009

Saturn’s Children

After a recent article in Total Politics (which I suggest that everyone with the time and an interest in Politics should read) I picked up on Alan Duncan’s book Saturn’s Children.

The main reason why I picked it up was its… superficial political leanings; that of a conservative-libertarian approach. To be honest I don’t expect it to find any sort of balance, or indeed (as many Libertarians would say) that a balance is possible, but its a nice idea for me.

In my head is the pulling – like for most reflective people – of heart and head but I guess my problem is I don’t know which one is which. My heart is my pragmatism, the real understanding that there is right and that right can sometimes cause problems and hurt and that there are ways to achieve your aims without a steamroller; either of philosophical strength or honed political understanding. My head is the knowledge of a path, and such a path is proven to be right above all others.

To me both fit both categories. I will leave you with a quote from the book of Karl Poper.

“There is no return to the harmonious state of nature. If we turn back, then we must go the whole way - we must return to the beasts.” Karl Poper [the open society and its enemies]

No comments: