Quote of the Moment
"All really great things happen in slow and inconspicuous ways." Leo Tolstoy


Sunday 2 February 2014

Writing the E8: The Perils of History

Aim: To write a short book on my E8 hike.
How: I will plan in advance, make notes on my progress and observations, and finish writing it within a month of returning home.
Why: For myself and to complete something that may be useful to others.

There you go. Seems so simple! Hmm, well maybe not. So far the research that I have done has only been for the Beara Way and once again I realise why I am so interested in going to Ireland. There is such a rich history there and it threatens to cause my book to expand dramatically; but largely because the stories and features I will come across are so interesting to me! For example, the Mass Rock just after Allihies is a treasure-trove that starts with a mid-17th century clandestine Catholic ceremonies held on a cold and blustery nights; it then leads past destroyed churches and repressive laws, Cromwell's invasion and the history of English/Norman involvement on the island and then on to the 5th century, when Saint Patrick et al. brought Christianity to is island.

Sigh.

So much exciting history to be contained within such a pitifully small enterprise. Oh well, never mind. :-)

No comments: