Quote of the Moment
"All really great things happen in slow and inconspicuous ways." Leo Tolstoy


Wednesday 30 July 2014

E8: The Maps You Need in Ireland

A gaping hole in my blog posts so far has been the lack of actual information that would be at all useful to someone wishing to do the same route I did. With that in mind and prompted by Elizabeth who commented on my previous post I will go some way to rectifying this. As always, thanks for reading. :-)

----

I used OSi maps for my hike, which can be found HERE.  These maps seemed - during my research - to be the only comprehensive maps that would cover the whole of the E8 route from Dursey to Dublin. A couple of comments, firstly they seemed a little expensive when I purchased them, all in I spent over €100 inc. shipping. Secondly they are not quite as accurate as you may be used to, with the Discovery Ireland series the best for walkers at a 1:50 scale, this might not be the 1:25 that you may be used to.


Above is a grid I found here that I have modified slightly to show the maps that cover the E8. I also found a more detailed version of the same thing (without my edits) here that may be better if you plan to print it off. The maps you need are the following.

  • Discovery Series 84  
  • Discovery Series 78     
  • Discovery Series 68 
  • Discovery Series 85 
  • Discovery Series 81 
  • Discovery Series 76 
  • Discovery Series 74 
  • Discovery Series 50
  • Discovery Series 56 
  • Discovery Series 80  
  • Discovery Series 79  
  • Discovery Series 75  
  • Discovery Series 62 
Costing 7.57 each plus shipping.

Final comment. There is one very small section of the route that is not on the maps above, it is the link to get on to the Wicklow Way. It turned out to be a matter of 100-200 metres and I didn't want to spend the money on yet another map so assumed that I would be able to find my way. I didn't test it, but don't think it would have been a problem.

No comments: